About

Here you can find all forums, blogs and similar sections, that are meant for different types of communication.

Banner Hide banner

Simbiat
Simbiat

When I started watching 1st episode of this show, it instantly reminded me of "Koukyuu no Karasu". That one was also in China, also in a palace, more specifically in "inner" part of it, and was also about a "regular" (if not to say "boring") girl having/getting a sort of promotion, that is meant to draw attention to her. But this one is waaay better.

Maomao has skills. She has passion. She is quirky, and is not afraid of that. She is funny as hell, strong-willed, smart. She is a lot like Sei from "Seijo no Maryoku wa Bannou desu", but with all limiters removed (wonder if it's coincidence, that both are alchemists). I would dare say she is the best girl of the season, and we do have Sei, we have Frieren from Sousou no Frieren, Chise from "Mahoutsukai no Yome" and even Liu from Zanting.

I also really like that the show does not even try to hide the fact, that this is a single character show: opening has only Maomao for 99% of it, and ending has only her. I mean she is the best character so far, even though that violet-haired guy can be funny at times, too. Either way, her reactions, her wit somehow lift my spirits more than any other show this season.

Simbiat
Simbiat

Episode 4:

I understand those ladies-in-waiting being arrogant, thinking Maomao is below their rank, but didn’t they know from the start that she was sent to treat their lady? If they wanted their lady to recover, what’s the point of stopping Maomao from doing what Emperor has ordered?

Also what technique did she mean? Boobjob?

Simbiat
Simbiat

Episode 10:

As a detective story this is not good. The jumps to conclusion are often out of nowhere, with some pieces of the logic being shown after the conclusion was made, instead of giving hints before that. I mean, there are some hints, yes, but they are mostly circumstantial. But anyway, Maomao is best girl.

Simbiat
Simbiat

Episode 13:

Too bad they changed opening, first one was a banger. Not sure why Maomao is now Xiaomao, though. But anyway sounds like voicing her over should be really fun with the sounds she's been making this episode.

Simbiat
Simbiat

Episode 18:

Something tells me, that Suirei is Maomao’s mother.

Simbiat
Simbiat

Episode 23:

Did not expect Maomao's father to turn out not that bad of a guy.

Simbiat
Simbiat

Episode 24:
When Lakan was hit by his realization, my hear literally sunk. Somehow this (seemingly) small moment was the most touching in the whole show.

But it had to end. Similar to Frieren, it was another show, that I consistently wanted to see despite any moods, I might have had at the time. I do not think it is as good as Frieren, since there is less of overarching character progression, but it was still really good.

In fact, I would say, that both shows are something, that Hollywood and US show runners in general need to learn from. They've spun a lot of shows with female leads, that flopped in the end, because they were pushing feminist ideas for the sake of pushing feminists ideas and painting white men as villains of the world.

But look at our apothecary and elf: they are so relatable, they are so real... And no one would dare say that they are weak, or that they depend on men or anything like that. They are strong, they prove it time and time again, yet... They are not afraid of their quirks and imperfections, and definitely are not drawing all men as villains, giving credit, where credit is due. That's the way you write a strong female lead.