About

Here you can find all forums, blogs and similar sections, that are meant for different types of communication.

Banner Hide banner

Simbiat
Simbiat

Something special about general atmosphere of this one. Relaxing, but still keeping you focused somehow.

Why did the hero become shorter, and priest did not? I would have expected the reversed.

Simbiat
Simbiat

Episode 3:

I figured out what felt special about the atmosphere here: it's bittersweet.

We are getting some "meditative" show almost every season now, but all of them are just about "relaxation" and "calm", which are good in their own right. But they are not truly "meditative", except for maybe some specific moments, since they do not have self-reflection. In here self-reflection is practically the main theme.

It's not just the specific stories that each episode tell, either. Yes, each story is somehow connected to the past, and Frieren does remember stuff showing bits of her past. But there are also small things here and there, that indicate passage of time, and how things change regardless of whether people want them to or not. I think the story told in this episode kind of reinforced this, showing that the time is not standing still to another being, that can live for a long time similar to our elf.

I can't think of another anime which had this feeling as its pillar. Yes, a lot of stories spanning multiple years or even decades have moments, when some character reminisce about the past, and friends lost, but those are brief and fleeting and they are often used as an epilogue to show how the character has grown and that the character has not forgotten the past. In this anime, though, it is practically the whole world that changes and tries to remember.

On a lighter note: Frieren's face, when she got a potion, that only dissolves clothes is priceless.

Potion to disolve clothes.webp

Simbiat
Simbiat

Episode 9:

Such satisfying fights.

Simbiat
Simbiat

Episode 13:

Now they have a proper party: tank, healer, and 2 DPS.

Simbiat
Simbiat

Episode 14:

Ah, young love… I’m jealous, since I never experienced this kind of thing. I really like how this show has lots of little details all over the place that just make things so extra wholesome. Also that spell had some insane range.

Simbiat
Simbiat

Episode 15:

First we had badass priest, then an even more badass Frieren, then the cute kids (Stark and Fern) and then Frieren rejecting dances for cake... This was too good.

Simbiat
Simbiat

Episode 28:

No more weekly dose of too-good-to-be-true elf and human mages. No more bittersweetness, which resonates with one's maturing (or just getting older). At least, not for a while. The last frame did suggest potential 2nd season, after all.

Was this the best show ever? I do not know. Maybe not. But it was probably the only anime that was not "dark gritty action" kind that was I looking forward every time, regardless of my mood. There've been other "chill" anime in the past 2 (or was it 3?) seasons, that I watched, but sometimes I did not feel the mood for them, like "nah, it will be too sweet". Frieren, though, hit the spot every time.

It's mostly just talking about and doing small things, that turn out to be important, just like in life. You know how some useless thing will make your house feel like home? Even the fights were mostly about smaller things, that were hidden beneath even large attacks. There was weight to every action. Everything felt meaningful in one way or another. Guess there was a reason I've changed my phone wallpaper after so many years.

Phone wallpaper

I think my only gripe with the show would be, that humans seem to always be good, even when it's initially suggested, they are not, and demons are always bad. I would prefer a bit more duality.